Many of us are working from home, at home - but not working, home schooling, housekeeping, and more. The complexity of life is magnified now more than ever as everything we do from eating, sleeping, working, exercising, and just trying to relax is taking place within the confines of our living spaces. It is reasonable to assume that some routine is going to slip and we will have to work twice as hard or fast to make up for the misstep or failed step because we just don’t feel like it.
But we should make sure that we don’t let the routines that keep us healthy and whole slip too much. As we get used to our new normal and keep an eye to the horizon for even more change into even another normal, IAWH talked with several women around the country about their routines or slipping routines and came up with this self-check.
· How many times have you worn the same clothes multiple days in a row– even with stains on them – that t-shirt, those sweat pants, that comfy stretchy cotton dress?
What? It’s comfortable!
· How many times have you not brushed your teeth, flossed, washed your face, pulled or shaved that stray facial hair, or even showered when you normally would have? Okay, so?
· Have you worked out and just not “cleaned” yourself up immediately after because you needed to attend to a child, get on a work-related call, write and get out a time-sensitive email for work, or something else?
I know, I know. This can lead to itching, irritation, odor, other issues caused by bacterial infection.
· Are you walking around the house in your bare feet, braless, panty-less, wearing stretchy and comfortable workout wear? When was the last time you even tried on any of your fitted or tailored clothes lately? Do they still fit?
· We are washing our hands a lot more to prevent the unconscious spread of the coronavirus, so we are paying attention to our hands, but what are the cuticles on your toes looking like these days?
OMG. I’m assuming cute sandal season will come eventually.
· With salons closed, when was the last time you fully and deeply washed your hair and scalp? Ladies… it may be time to take out the weave, the braids, the twists, wash and give yourself a deep condition.
I can almost hear the collective Ahhhh across the country just from this simple act of self-love. A natural style, a decorative head wrap, a cap, or even an old fashion “home doo” will have to do.
· Have you ignored or even sat with a particular body odor – just because, knowing full well you are past the “sell by” date and need to step into the shower?
· Have you sat on a Zoom call and only realized that you had crust in the corner of your eye when you saw your image along with all of your co-workers staring back at you?
Now that’s bad. Pull yourself together, girl!
· Are you sitting at home with ashy arms, legs, elbows because no one can see you?
Moisturize! It’s not just for when you need to leave the house.
· Have you become too sedentary, while enjoying sugary or salty snacks?
The path that you’ve worn into your floor from the sofa to the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator doesn’t count as an exercise routine.
There is nothing wrong with the old routines that we once had, but they just don’t fit right now, the way we need them to. So until you hear your stylist say, “what do you want done today?” and your nail tech says, “go pick your color”, let’s create some new routines that work for the time being so that we can remain healthy, keep good hygiene, and not embarrassed if we are suddenly asked to step outside into the all revealing sunlight.